You have implemented mobile push notifications into your PubNub application or you have made some changes (new push cert, for example) and now you are having some issues sending/receiving mobile push notifications. Maybe it's missing messages on client devices, getting duplicate messages, getting messages meant for another user/device. Whatever it is, we will provide the best tools and techniques for finding the root cause and resolving, or at least just getting all the necessary data points to send to PubNub Support to assist with troubleshooting.
Before you troubleshoot
Before you start getting your hands dirty with troubleshooting, think about the issue you are having and the probable root causes are.
- iOS: If you uploaded a new push certificate for your iOS app and users stopped getting push notifications, then this means that the users' push registration tokens have been invalidated (by Apple/APNS, not PubNub)
- It could be that your app is not asking APNS for the push registration token when the app starts (didFinishLoadingWithOptions gets invoked), as per Apple Push Notification best practices.
- Or possibly you selected the wrong Environment setting (Development vs Production) for the push certificate.
NOTE: please be sure to explicitly set this field and verify that it was persisted properly refreshing the screen after you click Save.
- Be sure that you passing the device push token as an NSData datatype and not converting it to a string.
- Android: If you are not seeing GCM/FCM messages displayed
- perhaps you are sending the wrong type of message (data vs notification). Please review KB article, Why are my FCM push notifications not working?
- Make sure you have entered the proper Server or API keys for your PubNub key set's FCM/GCM configuration.
There may be other factors that may be suddenly causing you issues with your push mobile notifications so think through your implementations and configurations that might be the root cause.
To troubleshoot your push issues please refer to our official Mobile Push Troubleshooting guide.
In case you are unable reveal the root cause and probable solution to your push notification challenges, you can contact PubNub Support and provide us with any information you have collected.